Photo Courtesy of Amanda Steiger

The course booklet joins the punchcard as an artifact of old course registration procedures

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Reflecting on the Whamond Story

My goal for this piece was to show how user-generated content, as detailed in Whamond's talk with our class and his answers to our interview questions, is a major part of online media. Tom Baden touched upon it, but Keith Whamond was able to better explain its impact since he deals with it in a more immediate manner. I wanted to inform a bit on its importance since many Commnications and English majors may end up going into this steadily growing industry. In that sense, I think it has great impact and appeal, as well as proximity because graduates are getting more and more involved in such endeavors.

I think what helped me get the most from this interview was having already experienced the interview process in this class and in knowing what to expect I was better able to prepare myself for it. Although the Tom Baden interview was different in many ways, it helped me to see how this could unfold and how to maximize one's time during the interview so as to get the most information and have the most flexibility for being able to change topics if need be.
I think this story is more focused than the Tom Baden story. It focuses on a narrower scope and utilizes more quotes from the individual being interviewed. I was better able to listen for and write down some great quotes. I feel that this helped my story a great deal.

For this interview, I went in with better questions(many of which got answered) and a better outlook on what was to come. However, I feel that I could have done a better job in crafting a direction in which my story should go. I found myself altering the direction of the story once again, and after several leads I changed my idea for the story.

I learned from this particular experience that I still need to work on going into the situation with more specifics in mind. I think I do a good job of adapting and creating a story based on what is available, but that there still is room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment